Thursday 19 June 2014

Day 19 - 17 June - Borroloola to Cape Crawford - 110 km


[Joe]Lousy night's sleep. Too much to drink and my bladder active all night. Normally I would just piss on the grass nearby but we were camped near the amenities block and every time I exited the tent the block light up because there was movement sensor.

Also bloody dogs! There was a deep-voiced hound that barked at shadows all night and every damn mutt for miles round had to join in.

Then I was too hot! And then there was traffic noise! Did I mention Tony snoring after red wine?

Anyway we packed up and headed to the nearby petrol station cafe where a really helpful and friendly lady gave us huge breakfasts and coffee. We also purchased sandwiches for the road. Great service!

Eventually headed off around 9.00 am and immediately headed into strong headwind. Took until 12.00 to cover 40 kms.

[Tony] Got to this road junction and Joe misread the sign and immediately headed towards what he thought was Big Bong.  He was saying things like, " Let's mellow out on some weed man" and then broke into Redemption Song ( apologies to Bob).  Luckily I was able to get Joe back on the straight and narrow heading towards Cape Crawford.






 Another 20 kms and we stopped for lunch. No shade so we created some with a road sign, tarp and an Ocky strap. Ate our sandwiches but didn't linger because it was not comfortable there.

Fortunately the wind moderated and the afternoon riding was easier. I had suggested to Tony that he should keep going and not wait at the final breakpoint and leave me to ride at my pace. I enjoyed a more leisurely ride, spotted some Wedge Tailed Eagles and some "cranes". Eventually hit town around 5.00 pm.






 Actually Cape Crawford is just a roadhouse with accommodation and camping. It is themed as "the Heartbeak Hotel". Includes Elvis ansd Priscilla toilets and a Country and Western Singer Dallas Steele every night.








[Tony] As I was heading over for a shower a guy/ bogan roared up in a Landcruiser ute and parked on the grass next to a Don't park on the grass sign.  I had a chat with him about his dog and ute and roads.  As he knew a lot about the area I asked him if he was local and he said, "I own the place".  Turns out he owned the Heartbreak Hotel.






Currently enjoying barramundi chips and salad with a beer listening to both types of music courtesy of Dallas Steele who plays here every night.. Wonder if he is available for Bar Mitzahs?

No comments:

Post a Comment